Holistic Medical Care Clinic is proud to offer our hyperbaric oxygen chamber to anyone in the Tampa Bay area and surrounding areas. Using hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) increases oxygen up to 10 times normal concentration. This increased blood concentration expedites the healing in your body for a variety of conditions and can also be added with our widely popular IV Therapies.
Hyperbaric medicine, also known as hyperbaric oxygen therapy is the medical use of oxygen at a higher than atmospheric pressure. Hyper means increased and baric relates to pressure. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) refers to intermittent treatment of the entire body with 100-percent oxygen at greater than normal atmospheric pressure. That pressure is defined as one atmosphere absolute (1 ATA). In the ambient atmosphere we normally breathe approximately 20 percent oxygen and 80 percent nitrogen. While undergoing HBOT, pressure is increased up to two times (2 ATA) in 100% oxygen. This increased pressure, combined with an increase in oxygen to 100 percent, dissolves oxygen in the blood plasma and in all body cells, tissues and fluids at up to 10 times normal concentration.
Some of the benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy:
- Increases oxygen concentration in all body tissues, even with reduced or blocked blood flow
- Stimulates the growth of new blood vessels to locations with reduced circulation, improving blood flow to areas with arterial blockage
- Increases blood vessel diameter greater than when therapy began, improving blood flow to deficient organs
- Stimulates an adaptive increase in superoxide dismutase (SOD), one of the body’s principal, internally produced antioxidants and free radical scavengers
- Aids the treatment of infection by enhancing white blood cell action
- Expedites the healing process for skin, neuro, and muscular tissue injuries including both amateur and professional sports injuries
Holistic Medical Care Clinic is proud to offer our Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber in the Tampa Bay and surrounding areas. We offer the hyperbaric oxygen therapy to be used in one hour session or “dive”. Customers can purchase a single dive or session, or buy package sessions. We have seen great success when combining the hyperbaric chamber with one of our popular IV packages.
Whether you are a parent of an autistic child, a patient who recently suffered a stroke, an athlete with a sports injury or an individual who feels run down in general, then hyperbaric chamber might be a viable option to get you or your loved ones back on the road to recovery.
To schedule a session in our hyperbaric chamber feel free to call our office in Brandon (813) 398-0470 or email us [email protected]
What to expect when inside the chamber
You will be asked to put on the oxygen mask. During the first 10 minutes of the treatment, the air pressure in the chamber will be increased gradually until it reaches the prescribed amount. You will hear air going into the chamber, and you will feel a sensation of pressure in your ears, similar To that experienced during an airplane trip and when going up high altitudes. This is normal. You will need to clear your ears several times during this compression. To equalize this pressure in
your ears, some of the methods you may use are yawning, swallowing, attempt to blow thru your nose while closing your mouth and holding your nose closed.
During most of your treatment time, you may relax, read a book, or sleep. The session will last 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the recommendation of your doctor.
During the last 10 or so minutes of the treatment, the pressure in the chamber will be decreased gradually . You may again feel a popping in your ears. Your ears will clear automatically. It is important not to hold your breath during this time.
Clinic Policies regarding mHBOT Sessions
We have adopted the following policies for HBOT sessions in our Center.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your therapy session.
- Caregivers who wish to accompany a patient in the chamber must complete a separate Informed Consent form, and be cleared from any contraindications to being inside the chamber.
- Please bring a clean bedsheet and a pillow so you may be comfortable inside the chamber.
- An oxygen mask will be provided. Patients are responsible for the care, cleaning, and storage of their own oxygen mask. Please bring a plastic bag (Ziploc) to store your oxygen mask for reuse in your next dive. Properly label the bag.
- To minimize fire hazards in the chamber:
- Do not use any perfume/cologne, oils, lotion (after-shave, body), hair spray, nail polish, and petroleum-based products (such as Vaseline) prior to therapy session.
- Do not take any flammable items (such as lighters, matches) into the chamber.
- No food or drink allowed inside the chamber. (Exception: A sippy-cup for small children will be allowed to help open the ear duct when the pressure rises.)
- Please do not bring jewelry or other valuables to the chamber.
- Cancellations made less than 24 hours prior to session will be charged for the session.
Hyperbaric Chamber Therapy Consent Form
Q: Is Hbot Safe?
A: HBOT is very safe. There are standard safety procedures we go over with all our patients prior to beginning HBOT.
Q: What Does Hbot Feel Like?
A: Numerous patients have commented that it feels as if they are flying on an airplane while inside the HBOT. As pressure build, it is common to feel pressure in the ears. At the end of the treatment, the ears “pop” as pressure is released. Most patients rest comfortably, listen to music, read, or surf the internet.
Q: How Long Does A Typical Hbot Last?
A: We sell our HBOT packages in one-hour increments.
Q: What Should I Wear?
A: It is best to wear something comfortable and loose. Shorts or a tee shirt is fine as it does get warm inside the hyperbaric chamber. We do provide an air cooler to help with the air circulation.
Q: Will Someone Be Monitoring Me During My Session?
A: We provide a two-way walkie-talkie with our patients so we are in constant contact during your session. Our chamber also has a clear window so our technician can monitor you in the event you are sleeping and do not respond to the walkie-talkie.
Q: How Often Should I Use Hbot?
A: We typically make recommendations for you based on your needs after your initial visit.